The mission of the IvI PhD council is threefold:
1. create a sense of community among IvI PhDs;
2. provide a voice and a platform for them to address issues and relevant topics;
3. provide a periodic update to the IvI management team on behalf of the PhD community and give advice wherever we can.
The IvI PhD Council has recently been started, and we are recruiting. We seek to improve the experience of PhDs during their time at IvI in a broad variety of ways. These include:
- Planning fun activities to bring the PhD community together, so that you can know your colleagues and their works better.
- General support on any issues PhDs are faced with.
If you just started at the Informatics Institute or when you are around for a while, but feel like having a buddy, let us know.
There are PhD students who like to help you to find your way around at the UvA or in Dutch society, answer your questions, give tips, have a coffee or a walk.
Send a mail to the PhD Council.
Jori Hoencamp is a PhD candidate at the Computational Science Lab. His research evolves around computational finance and focuses on models for FX and interest rates. On the council he looks forward to organising social activities for PhDs by PhDs.
Shaojie Jiang is a 4th year PhD candidate in Information Retrieval Lab. His research topic is Open-domain Dialogue Systems (check his personal homepage for more details). He is also very interested in photography.
David Stap is a PhD candidate in the Language Technology Lab, under the supervision of Dr. Christof Monz. He is working on multilingual machine translation and aims to improve translation quality for low-resource languages. See his website for more details.
Dimitris Michailidis is a PhD Candidate at the Civic AI Lab. His research is focused on developing AI algorithms for uncovering and tackling city inequalities. Check his website for more information.
Sara Shakeri is a 3th year Ph.D candidate in MultiScale Networked Systems Lab under supervision of Dr. Paola Grosso. Her research is about programmable networks and network virtualisation. She is interested in organising social activities and also a big fan of travelling.
- E-mail: PhD Council email@example.com