About the Informatics Institute
The mission of the Informatics Institute is to perform curiosity-driven and use-inspired fundamental research in Computer Science. Our research involves complex information systems at large, with a focus on collaborative, data driven, computational and intelligent systems, all with a strong interactive component.
We prefer to select specific topics and pursue them from methods in informatics and engineering, rather than make a choice for fundamental versus engineering science. As part of our research mission, we maintain strategic multi-disciplinary research links inside and outside the University of Amsterdam.
The Informatics Institute is structured in eight sections groups plus a lecturers group and an ICT Support group:
- AMLAB: Amsterdam Machine Learning Lab - Prof. Max Welling
- ILPS: Information and Language Processing Systems - Prof. Maarten de Rijke
- ISIS: Intelligent Sensory Information Systems - Prof. Cees Snoek
- CV: Computer Vision - Prof. Theo Gevers
- CSL: Computational Science Lab - Prof. Alfons Hoekstra
- TCS: Theory of Computer Science - Dr Alban Ponse
- FCN: Federated Collaborative Networks - Prof. Hamideh Afsarmanesh
- SNE Lab: System and Network Engineering Lab - Prof. Cees de Laat
- LG: Lecturers group - Hans Dekkers, MSc
- ICT Support group - Dr Rob Belleman