H2020 funding for Zhiming Zhao
Zhiming Zhao from the UvA Informatics Institute has been granted funding for the project 'A Europe-wide Interoperable Virtual Research Environment to Empower Multidisciplinary Research Communities and Accelerate Innovation and Collaboration' (VRE4EIC). This project has a total budget of €4.3 million, of which €457,000 has been allocated to the UvA.
ERCIM will be the coordination partner. The consortium consists of partners from France (ERCIM), the Netherlands (TUDelft, CWI, EuroCRIS and UvA), Italy (CNR and INGV) and Greece (FORTH). VRE4EIC covers all EU member states and EFTA countries, and will affect 70,000 researchers all over Europe.
The VRE4EIC project addresses key data and software challenges in supporting multidisciplinary data driven sciences. These include:
- understanding complex user requirements across domains by closely involving committed user communities;
- improving the quality of VRE user experience by providing user centred, secure, privacy compliant, sustainable environments for accessing data, composing workflows and tracking data publications;
- increasing VRE usage in multidisciplinary research domains by abstracting and reusing building blocks and workflows from existing VRE initiatives;
- improving the interoperability of heterogeneous discovery, contextual and detailed metadata across all layers of the VRE and
- promoting the exploitation of VRE4EIC solutions to different research communities and commercially.